MIGSS - Migration Summer School
MIGRATION SUMMER SCHOOL 2021
26-31 July, 2021
Migrants, asylum seekers and refugees in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic
Will run ONLINE in sychronous e-learning mode.
- Α week-long program in English will investigate the developments, challenges, integration and social exclusion of migrants and refugees in Europe as well as in reception societies.
- Open for Practitioners, NGO Professionals, Researchers & Post-Graduate Students of all disciplines (i.e. Sociology, Social Policy, International Relations, Human Rights, and Economics et al.)
- Meet key academics and experts working in the field
- The two days of on-Site visits to Reception facilities and NGOs will not be conducted this year due to the COVID-19 precaution measures. Extra lectures have been added to the program
- Doctoral students and researchers will have the opportunity to present their PhD/research at the PhD Seminar.
As the World Health Organization (WHO) states, asylum seekers, refugees, and migrants are exposed to increased risks of contracting diseases, such as COVID-19, as they live mostly in overcrowded facilities and conditions without necessary public health conditions. How the pandemic has affected migrants, asylum seekers and refugees regarding their health, employment, education, coexistence and their integration, as well as, policy responses and public opinion? This program will help participants to develop a broad theoretical and practical understanding of contemporary migration in Europe and the challenges faced by migrants, in relation to social exclusion and integration, with emphasis on the current situation in Europe during the COVID-19 pandemic.